Weedon Architects are involved in delivering this EfW facility in Hartlebury, Worcestershire for Mercia Waste Management.
The facility is designed for a throughput of 200,000 tonnes of household waste per annum, which will produce over 18MW of renewable energy for export to the local grid network.
The facility within two inter-connected buildings, comprises of:
• waste reception tipping hall; storage bunker
• ash bunker
• waste combustion grate and boiler flue gas treatment system
• education/visitor centre offices, workshop and stores
• turbine generator, air cooled condensers
• an electrical sub-station bypass station
• gatehouse/weighbridge office dual weighbridges
• a car park (with a coach parking bay) for staff and visitors
• a pedestrian foot bridge provides access to the office and education/visitor centreDue to the sensitive nature of the site the whole building was founded 8m below ground level with the base of the bunker a further 9m below access road level.